| Sunday, May 14, 2006
| MOTHER'S DAY
|MOTHER'S DAY IS AN EMOTIONALLY CHARGED OCCASION for many families., but this was never what Anna M. Jarvis intention, when, in 1907, she proposed a day be set aside for children to pay tribute to their mothers. However, when Miss Jarvis organized this annual remembrance, the original commemoration was for a mother who had passed on into loving memory.
In an effor to ease her grief, Miss Jarvis (1864-1948) arranged for a special memorail service be held honoring her mother, providing five hundred carnations -- her mother's favorite flower -- as corsages.
For seven years, Mrs. Jarvis campaigned vigorously to create a holiday honoring mothers, winning many influential supporters, from suffragists and politicians. On May 8,1914, Woodrow Wilson, declared the second Sunday of May "Mother's Day", urging an annual "public expression of our love and reverence for the mothers of our country."
This quickly degenerated into a commercial hoopla that distressed Anna Jarvis greatly, and the poor lady spent the rest of her life arguing in letters, pamphlets, and editorials that the holiday had been intended to inspire simple loving gestures "through some distinct act of kindness, visit, letter, gift or tribute to show remembrance of the mother to whom general affection is due."
(Source:Mrs Sharp's Traditions by Sarah Ban Breathnach)
Today we celebrate also the birthday of the following people:
* George Lucas, film Director, Star Wars.
* Gabriel Daniel Fahrenheit, physicist, introduced Fahrenheit scale for thermometer.
* Thomas Gainsborough, British 18th century portrait and landscape painter.
* Claude Domier, German aircraft manufacturer, designer, prodiced earliest jets.
* Antonio Berni, Argentinian painter, collage artist, founder Nuevo Realisimo.
* Patrice Munsel, Coloratura soprano.
* Kurt Browning, Canadian 3x world champion on figure skater.
* Robert Owen, British 18-19th century philanthropic ssocial reformer.
* Bobby Darin, Singer, film actor.
(Source: Secret Language of Birthdays byGary Goldshneider & Joost Elffers)
|posted by infraternam meam @ 2:59 PM